Friday, November 13, 2009

Why won't people touch my red hair?

So I asked, and considered the answers, to a previous question about dying my hair. To summarize:



I'm a 21/m with deep, very red hair. I'm tired of everyone going oogly, so I want to do something about it. My solution: dye parts of it white/silver. Either some strains or possibly some sections of it (like all the hair below the plane of my temples if you were to lobotomize my head or something).



So this past sunday, I went to several different hair salons, and all of them found a reason not to touch my hair unless I wanted it trimmed or cut. Once they knew I wanted to dye it, they were very hands-off. The change was magical and extreme in their attitudes.



What am I missing?



Why won't people touch my red hair?

(-: I've got auburn hair in Japan, and I used to stick out like a sore thumb until more ladies started dyeing their hair.



Red hair does have a proud heritage, and it is very rare. Some women will be attracted to it. And I hate to say this, but you will miss it when you are gray or bald.



In the meantime, you could try fooling with the color a little bit by using chamomile tea or lemon juice (lightens it slightly), black tea or sage tea (darkens it slightly). You could also cover it up with hats.



You should ask the hairdresser why they won't dye it.



If you have it cut short, any dye job should grow out within six months or less. If you want to keep it long, then messing with your hair color is a gamble.



Red really is a special color -- maybe you should try working with it instead of against it. OTOH, you are only young once. Make your mistakes now, and you won't have to do it later.



Good luck, and my sympathies are with you. Your avatar looks great, though.



P.S. I looked at your other question after answering (-: -- should have done that first! You can get fake hair -- sometimes even just white hair on little combs or clips -- that you can add to your real hair. It would be a great way to see if you like a look because you can just take it out.



Another option -- try flouring your hair with flour. It may take several tries to get the look you want. Get someone to take a picture of it for you when you get what you want. Show that to the hairdressers. I would think white would just be a matter of peroxiding it out. If you don't mind sacrificing your long hair for it if it doesn't work, you should go for it.



Hairdressers may think that your issue is not with your hair, but something else, though. When I don't want to attract attention, I put mine back in a ponytail, and I wear a hat. As a guy, I'd think a short cut would be your friend if you *really* don't want any more attention.



Why won't people touch my red hair?

Could be greasy(?).



Why won't people touch my red hair?

You are talking about the hair on your head right?



Why won't people touch my red hair?

Red hair is the most difficult to color, and often times the result is tragic (like a near death experience, for a hair designer).



You should learn to love your hair. Maybe try a new shorter and slick style, not a color.



Why won't people touch my red hair?

people think red heads have a temper they don,t what to make you mad. did you know 2% of people in the world are redheads.



Why won't people touch my red hair?

I'm not a professional, however it is possible that red hair is more difficult to work with or doesn't process well. Someone should have at least said why they wouldn't 'touch it.'



Maybe you have really beautiful hair and no one wants to screw that up. :) Good luck.



Why won't people touch my red hair?

You want a very bizzaro look. They do not want to be responsible and have you come back angry with them. Do it yourself. What have you got to lose?



Why won't people touch my red hair?

It was probably the white and silver that made them not wanna color it. That would look like **** and nobody wants there name on that. Go in and ask for a nice shade of brown or ask them what you should do with the color. I'm sure you would get some better responses.



Why won't people touch my red hair?

Maybe they don't want to touch it because it is



1. GREASY!!



2. Dirty...



3. you have lice



4. it smells bad



5. you have dandruff



---just wash your hair like twice a day with a SPECIAL shampoo-



Why won't people touch my red hair?

I don't have any professional advice, but I love red hair. Some people flip out about blonde, but I couldn't care less. I rarely see real red-heads. You don't have to feel like you have to change it.



Why won't people touch my red hair?

Dude, the first thing you have to look for in a hair salon is the one chick that has her nose pierced and a funky doo on her head...she'll be happy to help you!! Get a girlfriend to do it for you. I'd go for splitting you hair down the middle. Now split one side into thirds and dye the piece in the middle black. When you want black hair you just part it in the black section and flip all the other to the other side. It's cool. Godloveya.



Why won't people touch my red hair?

why are you so crazy about hairs



natural hairs are best



Why won't people touch my red hair?

I know, I iknow--people think you're freaky because you have red hair, but instead of screwing with it to make it freakier, just let it be. I have, in the past, tried to 'ugly'myself up, including haircolor (black, platinum), and cuts (shaving stripes in, buzzed...), but the fact is, you will look odd with any other color because of your skintone. redheads look the way they do not only because of the color of their hair--the skin usually has a strong pink undertone, ans cannot tan very well, so it freckles...not a good look with the platinum/silver. Let your NATURALLY freaky flag fly, baby!



Why won't people touch my red hair?

The answer is thus: It's not so much the issue of changing it. That is the easy part. The STRONG driving force not to touch it is how you will respond to the change.



Reverting back to your original color is where things get tricky. I just worked on a client 3 weeks ago who I've known for a while now. And I did EXACTLY what she wanted. But, in the end, she decided it wasnt something she liked so much and changed her mind.



*sigh*



We had to think of something else to do because pretty much, getting back to a natural shade of red is incredibly hard.



So that's why we don't like to play around it.



:)



Why won't people touch my red hair?

red hair is hot....long creepy red hair is grosse.

No comments:

Post a Comment